So! You may be browsing our site (or many other web design agencies) and wondering why we list services, but not prices. Are we THAT expensive?! No, no we are not. We are very competitive for a professionally designed customized website in Virginia’s DC Metro area. So, why no prices?
The reason we don’t list our prices is because in our world offering a base price can become very misleading for the customer – and that’s dangerous. For example, if I were to offer you a custom website for $750 with a 2-day turnaround, you could probably expect a basic template with your text/content plugged in, no more than 4-6 pages, and limited choice in what you could revise, if anything at all. And for some businesses, that’s all they need. But if you’re going to do that, I would steer you towards Wix or SquareSpace. If that’s all you’re after, then you are better off trying to do it on your own because what you likely need is not going to be a custom website.
How much is a Custom Website Design in Fredericksburg?
That’s a pretty tricky question to answer, and I can give you a ballpark of $3-5k for a smaller customized website, but that’s a huge range and isn’t very helpful. Here’s what you may not know about the website design process at a professional level, and this will show why it’s so hard to just offer a basic rate. Any one of the steps listed below can be expanded or reduced to meet the customer’s needs prior to starting, which of course changes what we would charge. Offering a base rate gives the misrepresentation that the client can get exactly what would be best for their situation for that rate. It’s almost never the case because each company is expressly unique!
This is also why a discovery call is so important. With a discovery call we can get a close idea of what your company actually needs for their custom website. From there we are able to develop a customized quote, and develop a contract so you know what your exact costs will be and what you are getting for that rate. And if there is any potential scope creep (a project expanding past what was agreed to in the contract), there is also a hourly rate so you know exactly what you’re getting into. And no amendments are ever done in a silo. You will always know how much any additional work would cost in advance, because you have to sign off on it before we move forward. So with that, let’s talk about the design process for a customized website:
Website Design Process
- Discovery Call – map out the content that needs to be designed
- Also should you need outside services like copywriting or logo design, this would be determined on the call.
- Wireframing – initial structural design; what goes where and determining code functionality
- Designing – creating the styles and visual functionality
- Revisions – customer and in-house edits, typically done in 1-2 rounds
- Coding/Development – taking the finalized and approved design and converting it into code
- Testing – running the site through test groups to discover design, coding, compatibility, SEO, or UX issues
- Launching – launching the site to its final hosting location
- Post-launch Testing – one final troubleshooting session to discover any bugs that may appear on the new server
- Soft-opening – Site is announced to friends of the company for any last-minute feedback
- Opening – Site is officially launched and ready for public consumption and promoted across social and offline media channels as appropriate
A professional customized website design process is fairly straight forward. We work with you to figure out what needs to happen and discuss how to make it happen efficiently and within budget. Then we sketch it out, create custom designs that reflect you or your company’s brand goals, code it, test it, launch it, and promote it. Each one of these steps is a customization, and that is what makes pricing such a tough thing to do if we don’t know specifics.
Here’s an Example of a Customized Website Design and What it Could Cost
5 page website that includes:
- About Us
- Overview of the company/founder and goals
- Show team members
- Contact form on page
- Contact Us
- Contact information
- Basic Contact Form
- Google Map
- 2 additional product or services pages
- Primarily text and a few images
For this example we’ve included:
- Discovery Call
- 2 customized designs to choose from
- 2 revisions to a chosen design (feel free to mix and match elements)
- Establishing this on the WordPress CMS with a customized theme
- Basic SEO for chosen keywords (long-tail only)
- Custom 404 and 500 error pages
- Basic Spelling and Grammar checks
- Submission of the final site to search engines and social media outlets
All sites automatically include:
- Site Map (automatically generated)
- 4 stock photography images
- Hours: 30
- Hourly Rate: $129
- Total cost: $3,870
- 50% deposit required with signed contract
- 25% due at final design choice
- 25% due prior to launch